Mold and Your Roof

Mold and Your Roof


It is very common for roofs made of natural materials to develop algae, fungus and even mold. And, once it grows, it’s very difficult to get rid of. Even if you chemically treat your roof, the product will eventually wear off and you’ll either have to retreat or fix the problem time after time.

Mold is usually the result of algae growth. In rainy, humid weather, algae, moss and lichens can take hold and grow quickly on your roof. This causes the roof materials to remain damp, which promotes rot. When rot sets in, so can mold. Even with no rain, warm, humid weather creates ideal conditions for quick mold growth.

Mold can wash off your roof in the rain and get drawn inside your property. Indoors, mold can take hold and create health problems. If there’s a great deal of rotting on the roof, mold can penetrate roofing materials and cause wood rot and can also spread onto adjacent structures.

Roof mold also provides an inviting habitat for rodents such as mice, rats and other unwanted critters . If the roof is moldy, damp and soft, rodents often chew on roofing materials, causing serious, costly damage. They may even cart off portions of your roof to create nests.

Get rid of moldy headaches overhead by selecting a synthetic roofing product. Manufactured and warranted to resist the growth of mold, mildew and algae, our Palmex synthetic thatch is the easy solution to keep you safe.

Palmex gives you peace-of-mind and a roof you can count on!

Cindy Angelini | Palmex International